Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Twittering... tweeting... twitting?



So, I'm not really sure when it happened, but twitter.com has become some sort of overnight sensation.  Of course, the site has been up-and-running for about three years now, and I acknowledge that I am definitely not one of the first users... but I'm still confused by its popularity.  In fact, I've even noticed that good ol' Facebook has started to mirror twitter.  Instead of just showing people's statuses and other random things in the Newsfeed, FB now shows what your friends write on their friends' walls.  I'm not entirely sure I like this; and it's just like the @responses for twitter... open for all to see, but meant for only the person you're writing to.  Obviously, a great deal of privacy is given up with internet networking sites like Facebook, twitter, and even the (grand?) father of social networking sites--MySpace.  But at the same time, I don't care what Sally writes on Bobby's wall.  If Sally wanted me to read it, wouldn't she write it to me?  I just find it stupid.  It's reminiscent of all this celebrity gossip that is oh-so-popular for some reason.  I personally could care less if Lindsay Lohan and her girlfriend got in a fight at some club and she was seen leaving with someone else.  (Obviously, that story is fabricated; I am by no means up-to-date on the latest celebrity gossip.)  So, the FB feed, and even twitter--although it was never anything than what it is now, so you know what you're getting into--seem to play into people's egotism and the need to seem important to the world.  At least that's the way I see it.

But then again, that's not stopping me from updating my status once or twice a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment